Scripture to Ponder

This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Psalms 118:24


Monday, July 26, 2010

Nine Passions

During week two of Research 5301, we were asked to narrow down our topic(s) that we want to pursue for an action research. I had first thought about doing research on accountabitlity in technology use, but from my reading, discovered that it was not such a great idea. The book cautioned me not to focus my wondering on controlling or changing other people's practice. I need to realize the only person I can control is myself. I need to focus on my influence and commit to develop my own behavior rather than others. With that being said, I was able to connect with my site mentor through Skype. We collaborated back and forth about topics before deciding on these two possible topics: In what ways does the integration of 21st Century skills affect student success? What can we (technology) do to encourage the integration of 21st Century skills? Our text by Nancy Fichtman Dana titled, "Leading with Passion and Knowledge" has been an interesting book and I find it easy to read. This week I read Chapter 2 about the nine passions that drive the action research journey. They are as follows:

1. Staff development
2. Curriculum development
3. Individual teacher(s)
4. Individual student(s)
5. Community/culture building
6. Leadership skills
7. Management
8. School performance
9. Social justice

One statement that stuck with me this week was that the hardest part of action research is "GETTING STARTED"! I am feeling it at this point. We will see what changes Week 3 brings about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, thanks!