Scripture to Ponder

This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Psalms 118:24


Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bird Nerd

 Ok, I admit that I turned into a bird nerd in my later years. I have developed joy in attracting birds in my backyard. I have two bird baths and used to have bird feeders in the front and back yard, until it attracted unwanted critters. Now I just view them in the back. Last Sunday at church, one of our dear members read this story before we partook of the Lord's Supper. Now, I will think of our glorious Savior each time I see a bird flying free and think about the price he paid for my sins.
Hope you enjoy the story too!




The Bird Cage

A man named George Thomas, who was pastor in a small New England
town, entered his chapel one Easter morning with a rusty, old, bent
birdcage. He set the birdcage on the pulpit causing a few raised eyebrows.
He then began to speak. "Yesterday morning I came across a young boy who
had three scared birds in a cage so I asked him what he had there.

"Just some dumb old birds."
"What are you going to do with them?"
"Just tease 'em, play with 'em and pull out their feathers. Make them fight. I'll have a real good time."
"But you'll get tired of those birds sooner or later. Then what will you do with them?"
"Oh, feed 'em to my cat. He likes birds."

The pastor was silent for a moment and then asked, "How much would
you like for those birds?"
The boy replied, "Oh you don't want these birds, they're ugly and
they don't even sing."
"How much?" was the pastors definite reply.
The boy thought for a moment and then said, "Ten dollars". The pastor reached into his pocket and took out a ten dollar bill. The boy took the money and hurried away.
The pastor picked up the cage, walked over to
where there was a tree surrounded by a grassy area. He opened the door and
gently tapped the bars of the cage and coaxed the birds out into the grass.
That explained the birdcage on the pulpit.

Then the pastor proceeded with this story. "One day Satan and Jesus
were talking. Satan was boasting and gloating to Jesus.

"'Yes sir, I caught me a whole world full of people, set up a trap
that they just couldn't resist. Yep, got 'em all caged up."
"'What are you going to do with them?" came the reply
"'Gonna have some fun with them, teach 'em to hate, hurt and kill
each other. Teach 'em to smoke and drink and curse. Yep, gonna have a real good time."
"Then what are you going to do with them?" asked Jesus.
"Oh, then I'll kill them and condemn 'em forever," Satan laughed.

Jesus paused and then asked "How much do you want for them?"
"'Oh, you don't want these people, they'll just hate you, spit on you, mock
you, and kill you. They certainly don't want you."
Jesus looked straight into Satan's soul. "How much?"
Satan suddenly realized, looked at Jesus and sneered, "All your
tears, all your blood, all your footsteps, all your strength. All your
life."

Jesus paid the price, picked up the cage and opened the door.

18 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. –I Peter 1:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, thanks!